What's the Point of Character Training??

The question of “what’s the point of character training?” and “why bother studying character qualities?” has crossed my mind a few times in the past couple of weeks. 

I’m dealing with postpartum hormones and all that fun jazz, adjusting to life with another little human, still on my recovery journey from birth and bedrest, working to get the house back into good shape, adding in school…..plus there are some character flaws going on in some of us (read all of us). I’m tired, I’m emotional, easily frazzled, annoyed and overwhelmed thanks to those hormones and as I see these character flaws that need to be worked on…..its daunting. 


I seem to take one step forward with a child and twenty backwards. Okay. Maybe it’s only the proverbial two steps backwards, but it feels like more. It seems like every child has an issue to work on. Which is always true, but right now its magnified since they didn’t get consistent training while I was on bedrest and the littles were able to get away with a whole lot. 


And then there is my own character training. 


I’ve been ready to throw in the towel on more than one occasion. 


And that’s when I've wondered what’s the point or why do we do character training?



2 Timothy 2:15 says “Do your best to present yourself to God as one approved, a worker who has no need to be ashamed, rightly handling the word of truth.” (ESV) The KJV uses the phrase “study to show thyself approved….”. 


Study what? Well, everything in GOD’s Word would be the right answer of course, but one specific thing is the fruit of the Spirit found in Galatians 5:22-23.

But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control,; against such things there is no law. 

(I LOVE that last line - against such things there is no law.) 


These are character qualities. These are traits of a christian. These are things we are to work to have. These are habits we need to develop. 


I also wondered “are all character qualities found in the Bible? What about…..nope. That’s there. Oh! What about….ha! nope. That’s there too.” What about politeness though? It’s not mentioned in the Bible. Not specifically always. But the principals are certainly there! 


The definition of politeness is “behavior that is respectful and considerate of other people. So where is politeness found in the Bible? Let’s look at a few verses that we can find the principals in. 

Colossians 4:6 Let your speech always be gracious, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how you ought to answer each person.

James 3:13 Who is wise and understanding among you? By his good conduct let him show his works in the meekness of wisdom. 

2 Timothy 2:24-26 And the Lord’s servant must not be quarrelsome but kind to everyone, able to teach, patiently enduring evil, correcting his opponents with gentleness. God may perhaps grant them repentance leading to a knowledge of the truth, and they may come to their senses and escape from the snare of the devil, after being captured by him to do his will. 

Titus 3:2 to speak evil of no one, to avoid quarreling, to be gentle, and to show perfect courtesy toward all people. 

And the one I use the most in our home….

Proverbs 15:1 A soft answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger. 

(I shorten this to “kind and soft words peeps. Kind and soft words.” hehehe)


2 Peter 1:3 tells us that His divine power has granted to us all things that pertain to life and godliness…In thinking about GOD’s Word, that He has given us specific character qualities and then principals for others, this verse came to mind. 



I need to remember my Mama Theme Verse more often right now. 

Galatians 6:9 And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due seasons we will reap, if we do not give up.

I need to keep sowing good seeds in my children and in myself. I need to continue fighting the good fight. I need to not grow weary of working on my mission field and working on my own heart. 


Don’t grow weary mama. 💕


Comments